Saturday, March 3, 2012

Got to Amsterdam (Updated March 12)

Flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam and on to Abuja

Things for other people.
I have departed on my seventh trip to Nigeria. I have my Visa and been collecting things to bring. It started as one GPS, some donated American Sign Language books, and an envelope for a companions church. Now is a full box and more. In addition to my GPS, cameras, and computer I will have 4 computer, 8 cameras, two battery chargers, a GPS, and a large comfy towel.  I will take a couple of the sign language the Signing for Idiots on the plane with me to practice. I am back to a one year old level of sign. 

My flight leaves Sunday March 11th from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. It is a little over 8 hours and 7 hours of time changes. I have three hours in Amsterdam (long enough to loose my luggage.) then a 6 hour flight on KLM to Abuja. I arrive on Monday night a little later than I started. I have confirmed that someone from the Abuja Diocese will pick me up at the airport Monday night. Probably, my good friend Bishop Benjamin Fuduta. By the time I get to the ECWA guesthouse it will be near midnight.

I hope to spend a few days with someone from the Abuja Diocese to research pump and pump parts suppliers and have a discussion with the Abuja Diocese on their water, sanitation and development goals. In Abuja I will have 3G or 2G in most parts of the city.

From Abuja it looks like the water team from Yola will be working in the Bauchi area and I will hook up with them. Probably catch a ride to Jos first, then join them. Mr Yukubu Bulama has told me he has many projects waiting for me in Adamawa State.

One week while I am there I hope to drive over to Bali and visit Pastor Bunduku and the Bali Project over in Taraba State.

 Jimeta has 2G internet (EDGE) over the cell phone most of the day, but will drop to 1G (GPRS) fairly routinely. At midnight the cell tower with internet shuts down to save generator fuel.

This is the first time with a smartphone in Nigeria. I should be able to post to Facebook from the phone. I will also be able to find out what level of internet is available in Bali and other remote areas. Probably will only be 1G.

Bad news is the Yakubu Bulama's US Visa was not approved. He said they were mostly approving immigrant visas and few of the business/tourist nonimmigrant. I am trying to organize an appeal for reconsideration. I found a FAQ about the visa that said you have to show significant economic and social ties to Nigeria. The application is not very good to that end. Yakubu certainly has those. Now how do we show that on his next application.

No comments:

Post a Comment