Thursday, March 15, 2012

March 11 & 12 Flight to Abuja

ECWA Guest House Wuse II - Abuja
Flight to Amsterdam went without a problem for a while. The during meal service someone started a loud whistling to get the flight attendants attention. Then they asked for a doctor to the rear galley. A lady in the center of the center section in my row jumped up and headed back. Then two others headed back. They then asked of someone fluent in German and English. Several other passengers immediately jumped up. There are people willing to help. We arrived in Amsterdam 40 minutes early.

The flight out of Amsterdam delayed. There was a man being deported to Nigeria and he did not want to go. He refused to sit down. We were delayed for about 15 minutes until the captain came back and calmed him down. The flight was uneventful after that but I was a little apprehensive for the first hour.
We arrived in Abuja the capital of Nigeria on time. While I was waiting in the immigration line, I called Bishop Benjamin Fuduta. He was waiting for two vans with twenty people from Song in Adamawa who were to stay overnight at the Nyanya church before driving to Pai for two days of evangelism. They had driven past the church and were lost somewhere in Abuja. He told me to take a taxi to the ECWA Guesthouse in Wuse II area of Abuja.

A lady from Florida was standing in line next to me and did not have any luck with her phone. I loaned her mine and then found out that she is working with the US and Nigerian governments to implement a solar power scheme in Nigeria. They are using the new solar panels developed by the DOE and DOD and tested on many naval bases. She said that these panels are more efficient. With the price paid by the government for the new panels and the high price of electricity in Nigeria the pay back is only 18 months. We exchanged cards and I found out that she goes by the name “JJ”. Her company is wheelerinternational.com.

Customs was interested in my cardboard box with the 4 laptops and the cameras. I explained that they were for the Charity Trust of Adamawa and some of the cameras were for a Lutheran church health program. They asked me where I was going to be and a rattled off a bunch of states including Bauchi. The head man was from Bauchi State and we discussed the water and sanitation projects there. He decided that they did not need to see the computers and would not charge any import duty.

There were no carts at the baggage area so I was at the mercy of the porters to haul my large box and 40 pound bag to the taxi area. They see a “rich American” and want a day’s wages for carrying out my bags. I probably gave them more than I should have but they still complained. They did help me a little get through customs.

Hot water was pretty hot and drizzled out enough.

The taxi driver happened to know the guesthouse. I made it to the ECWA Guesthouse, checked in and bought 3 bottles of water. I got room 207 for 7200 naira per night ($45.86). The porter grabbed my carryon and large bag and said he would come back for my big box. I told him, I will carry it. It is only the second floor. I forgot that the ground floor is not the first floor. The second floor is what we call the third floor. I was in bed by midnight only 24 hours after leaving for the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment